Tuesday, June 2

no-poo

I've still felt on this kick on natural cleaning supplies--both for the house and the body. The last week or two I've been washing my face with olive oil, and today was my first day trying the "no-poo" method of hair cleaning. First I had to let it get nice and greasy so I didn't wash it for 6 days. Last night when I took it out of its ponytail and it maintained the ponytail shape, I figured it was ready to go. So this morning I took my bath and mixed some baking soda with water, poured it over my head and massaged it into my roots. Rinsed, then mixed Apple Cider Vinegar with water, poured it over hair, and rinsed. It felt way different than using shampoo and conditioner. Post-shower I combed my hair and it felt pretty soft. Its still wet so we'll see how it feels when its dry.

I did, however, lose about a pound of hair during my bath. Seriously I think I could've donated the collective hairball I made to a wig company. I don't know if its normal, or just because I let my hair get so greasy, or maybe something to do with the pregnancy? Oh well.

So that covers face and hair. Anybody have a good natural recipe for body cleaning?? ;-)

Anyway I'm off to get ready. I have my first appointment with my homebirth midwife, and then a much-awaited playdate with a friend I haven't seen in nearly a year!

2 comments:

kendra said...

I started doing the baking soda thing a couple months ago, actually. I've been happy with it, and it saves me a ton of $$ on shampoo since I'm allergic to most of them and have to buy special hypoallergenic shampoo. But I've basically just been using baking soda most of the week and using the other shampoo once or twice a week just because mentally it seems weird to cut out shampoo altogether.

I'd be afraid of using olive oil to wash my face though, I think it would make my face too oily. But for Zeke we've been using a Kiss My Face soap whose only ingredients are olive oil, water, and baking soda, so I don't know why I think that's any different, just because it's in bar soap form.

Amy B said...

I can't wait to hear how it goes! And I can testify that for my part, I'm crazy about washing my face with olive oil. Some days I rub a little salt in it for a scrub, and my skin's like satin. Freckled satin. Freckled satin with the beginnings of crow's feet by the eyes...